Tuesday 21 July 2009

Sync'ing my Blackberry with Thunderbird

I know there are others out there like me that curse and forswear using MS Outlook. I have used Thunderbird since it was still part of the old Netscape Navigator, however it doesn't sync with my blackberry. As much as I dislike my keyboard on my BB Pearl, I love having a blackberry. But, the lack of sync'ing with my computer made me determined to find a work around.

A few months ago, I managed to find how to sync my BB Calendar. I installed an add-on to my Thunderbird called Lightning. Lightning is the the add-on version of the Mozilla Sunbird calendar. Then, I set up a Google Calendar. I installed an add-on to Thunderbird, called Provider for Google Calendar, that would sync Lightning and Google. Lastly, I installed a Google mobile application on my blackberry from Google that would sync the Google Calendar to the blackberry one.

Lightning --> Google --> Blackberry

For the Blackberry Contacts and Tasks to sync with Thunderbird's Contacts and Tasks, I use a free program called Funambol. I registered with them and put in my Blackberry information. Then, I installed an add-on to Thunderbird that created a sync with Funambol.

Thunderbird --> Funambol --> Blackberry

Unfortunately, I have not discovered a sync for Blackberry's MemoPad. In it's place, I use a program called Upvise on my blackberry. It has a nice note feature as well as a Shopping list feature. It will sync with its website so I just created a quicklink on my desktop to the website.

1 comments:

Werner Hattingh said...

Hi The Funambol add on in thunderird has been removed ... what now?