Tuesday 26 August 2014

More from my garden

The nights are getting colder and my garden is definitely showing its reaction.  The beans and peas have stopped producing.  I took the last of the beans and peas from the garden and pulled the plants.  I picked some tomatoes and peppers but I still have some on the plants.  I'm hoping I'll get a few more ripened before I have to pick them and ripen them inside.  My cucumbers were a bust.  I have 2 cukes.  Weird-looking ones at that, too. The pattypan squash and acorn squash were duds.  I think I have to have larger transplants.

Lettuce, on the other hand, is doing really well.  I harvested a bunch and I still have quite a lot still growing nicely.  I think I'm going to try an old French recipe for lettuce soup.  It is supposed to resemble cream of broccoli soup.  We'll see, I guess.


When I picked my cherry trees, there were some that weren't ripe so I left them.  I picked those now and froze them on a baking sheet.  I also picked the last of my raspberries.  I really have to read up on raspberry bushes because they weren't very good producers last year and this year.  I also froze the raspberries.  Today, I took the frozen fruit and put them into Ziploc bags.


What's still left?  For fruit, I have apples, chokeberries, and one small harvest of rhubarb.  For vegetables, I have more beets, more lettuce, some tomatoes, some peppers, carrots, and parsnips.


0 comments: