Friday 8 August 2014

Raspberry picking

I really wanted to get the raspberry picking done before the weekend.  Today, the forecast was for thundershowers so I was kind of disappointed.  I really didn't want to go picking with all the weekend hordes.  I decided to chance it as although the skies looked really grey, there wasn't any rain.

The twins had a babysitting gig tonight so they didn't go, but Isabella went with me.  We had a lot of fun, and it was nice having some one-on-one time with her.

The place we went to was Horse Hill Berry Farm and it was great!  They have 6 different varieties of raspberries and around a hundred or so rows of bushes.

Isabella and I picked 2 buckets of "Mammoths" which are fairly sweet but pretty firm and quite large.  Those are for our freezer.  Then we picked 1 bucket of "Killarneys" which is smaller and softer, but very sweet.  Those will go to some sugar-free jam for me, and just plain eating this weekend.  Delicious!

The farm had "picking buckets" which I thought were genius.  They were yogurt containers with a string attached in a loop.  You hang it around your neck so you can pick with both hands.  Then you dump into your main bucket when the little one is full.  Perfect!

We will definitely be going back to this farm next year.



0 comments: