Wednesday 10 September 2014

Pattypan Squash

Joel and I went to a U-Pick on Sunday and picked up about 25 pounds of pattypan squash. Isn't that word great? Pattypan. That's a fun word to say.   I tried to grow some this year, but I wasn't successful.  I kept getting lots of flowers, but nothing developed after that.  I think next year I'm going to have to try and hand-pollinate.


I chopped up the yellow ones, and the baby zucchini, into chunks.  I then blanched them in boiling water for 2 minutes, followed by plunging them into an ice bath.  After draining them really well, I froze them on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, and when they were frozen, I bagged them.


I shredded the white Pattypan squashes.  I did not blanch them.  I bagged them in 2-cup amounts and laid them flat on a baking sheet to freeze.


My sauces, stews, and baked goods just got healthier!


2 comments:

db said...

This is awesome! I have three pattypans in my fridge and I didn't know what to do with them. Now I know :)
Thanks B!!

Brigitte said...

I had about 1 1/2 cups of shredded pattypan leftover after I bagged it all. I tossed it into the spaghetti sauce tonight. The kids had no clue. LOL