Saturday 13 September 2014

Pear Syrup

Well, I finally got around to making the syrup from the pear scraps.


Just like with the peaches, I saved the pear peelings and cores, the anti-browning water, and the sugar water.  I put them all together into a big pot and simmered it for about an hour.


The first straining was to remove the peels and cores.


Followed by a finer straining to remove the pulp.


Into a nice big pot went the juice and sugar with a 2:1 ratio of juice to sugar.


After awhile, I had to transfer the syrup mixture to a smaller pot as my thermometer isn't long enough to reach the bottom of my large stock pot. However, I had to watch the mixture more closely in the smaller pot.  I had my syrup foam over once in the past and cleaning that mess on the stove-top was awful.



Finally, the syrup is ready.  You can really see the carmelization of the sugars.


Into some jars and a boiling water bath for processing.  I process for 10 minutes because I am at elevation but normal processing time would be 5 minutes.



0 comments: